170g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1/4 cup strong coffee (I find instant in this case works best)
4 eggs separated
2/3 cup caster (superfine) sugar, plus an extra tbsp which you’ll use later in recipe.
2 tablespoons of dark rum or Irish whiskey
1 tbsp water
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat a saucepan of water and set a heatproof bowl on top – be sure that the water does not touch the actual bowl.
2. Into the bowl add the coffee, chocolate and butter, warm slowly over simmering water until melted, stirring occasionally. Once melted, set aside.
3. Into a new large bowl add a few handfuls of ice and fill halfway with water. Set aside nearby.
4. Using the same saucepan of water, continue to simmer and place a new bowl on top into which; add the 4 egg yolks, caster sugar, water and rum/whisky. Using a balloon whisk or what I find (much) easier – a hand-held electric beater – whisk for about 3 minutes until the mixture thickens, pales in colour and has a similar consistency to runny mayonnaise.
5. Remove from heat and place bowl into the larger bowl of iced water. Be careful not to let any water into the smaller bowl.
6. Continue to whisk for a further few minutes until the mixture thickens considerably and is cooled.
7. Add the chocolate mixture into the beaten eggs and stir to combine.
8. In an electric mixer whip up the egg whites along with pinch of salt until almost stiff and frothy. At this stage add in one tablespoon of extra caster sugar and beat again until almost glossy.
9. Using a large mixing spoon, add one spoonful of egg whites into the chocolate mix, fold in gently then add the remaining egg whites, folding in until almost fully combined. Be careful at this stage not to over whip as you’ll lose all the air which is needed to be present to produce a light mousse.
10. Pour mixture into a jug and in turn into individual serving bowls/glasses.
11. Place in fridge and chill for approx. 3-4 hours and serve. They will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Found on Moredesignplease.com
Go check it out!