DH had this for the first time Friday night and I told him I’d make it for him. We’ll see how this turns out. I’ve had it alright, but never made it. Wish me luck!
oH…If this is your recipe and you’re copyrighted, tell me adn i’ll remove it. Please don’t come at me with knives before you simply inform me.
French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions (2 large)
- 2 14-oz. cans beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1/2-inch slices French bread, toasted
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss
1. In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter. Add onion and cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 13 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Uncover saucepan; cook and stir onion over medium-high heat about 10 minutes more or until onion is golden. Stir in broth, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil; arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese melts and is light brown.
4. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with a bread slice. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
5. French Onion Soup with Beef: Prepare as above, except add 1 cup chopped cooked beef with the broth.
6. French Onion Soup with Mushrooms: Prepare as above, except add 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms to saucepan in Step 2 before adding broth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 15 minutes more or until onion is golden and mushrooms are tender. Continue as directed.